We are very lucky and blessed to be surrounded by creative people of all types. That community pushes me out of my comfort zone every day. Ok, they actually drag me kicking and screaming out of it, but I love every minute.
For instance, I don't sing. Maybe once upon a time in the very distant past I soloed in the church choir, but not any more. I don't think anyone has really heard me sing except for my son. Of course, he was an infant and couldn't get away at the time. In my defense, not even Julie freakin' Andrews sounds good singing "Old McDonald had an Australopithecus" because you've run out of animals at 3AM...But, I don't tend to sing around people. In my car? Oh Hell yes! Shamelessly so. In a group where people can hear? Nope.
Yesterday, I sang "Happy Birthday" during an audition. The casting director winced. Props to her because she tried to hide it, but it was there. If I come through auditions, I expect that I will be asked to sing quietly. Pretend to sing even. I'm cool with that.
Then last night... A group of folks came by the house for a jam session. Three guitars, a mandolin, a penny whistle, a violin, two drums, and seven voices combined staggeringly well. It was amazing. The songs ranged from Jimmy Buffet (you know, my fave) to classic rock to Publican songs to pop. The music flowed in a magical way. The kind of way that only true musicians can accomplish because, despite having never played together as a group, they were in sync with each other. I grinned like a damned fool most of the night and let it wash over me.
Yes, I sang in public. How could I not? No one seemed to mind my flat croaking. The best part? I woke up to find myself inspired to write, inspired to design, inspired to do more. It's as though being forced out of my comfortable little box freed my mind. I'm looking forward to writing today, as much as I can before the day's obligations set in. In the back of my head, I'll hear singing and laughter. It will be the perfect soundtrack.
Two of the folks who were over have an amazingly good and funny group called Drunk & Sailor.
Check them out on Facebook and, if you're lucky enough to be close to one of their shows, go. Don't ask questions just go.
No comments:
Post a Comment